Monday, March 29, 2010

I Heart Faces: Dramatic Black & White


This is my second "I Heart Faces" photo challenge, and I wanted to challenge myself by venturing onto new learning paths.

There were so many photos to consider, but I liked this photo of the blind beggar lady that I encountered during my travels in India in 2005. This lady was standing outside the gated area where a wedding was taking place. It was very interesting for me to watch part of the Indian wedding ceremony. Guests were coming & going; a beautiful white cart decorated with flowers and 2 horses were at the ready to whisk the bridal couple away. There was such a contrast of colour & festivities vs the lone woman in drab clothing begging for a few rupees.

The original colour photo was quite drab looking and I just "didn't know what to do" with that photo. (If you would like to see the original photo, I've added it on my blog after this entry.) Thanks to this photo challenge, here's what I did to create the finished "dramatic" look:
  • convert photo to B&W
  • run a portrait action
  • add vibrance
  • add 2 textures
  • make needed adjustments (levels, curves)
  • burn around the edges
  • add a vignette
  • frame

Check out some of the other participants photos here.

1 comment:

  1. I love what you did with this photo. The textures really bring out the "grittiness" of the subject. Great job :)

    ReplyDelete